Join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of the Weekender. Scroll to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
Tomorrow is the first day of May, and right on cue, it seems the wonky “spring” weather here in our fair city is finally starting to even out. Who knows? Maybe it won’t snow again for a while! *knocks on wood, crosses fingers, grasps rabbit’s foot*
Our latest stories include a breakdown of the ongoing lumber shortage that is giving builders and renovators headaches, advice for all the aspiring REALTORS® out there, and details of a 50/50 raffle in support of a very good cause.
This week in CREB®Now
Lumber is worth its weight in gold right now, much to the chagrin of new-home buyers and anyone planning to build a deck this summer. Check out the story to find out how we got here, how you might be impacted, and when industry experts expect supply to catch up with demand.
With housing markets taking off across the country, you might be thinking that a career in real estate seems like a pretty great gig. But before you rush out to get your real estate licence, you should figure out whether you’re actually well suited to the job, which is where this informative story comes in
Check out the story to learn more about this excellent opportunity to support some local charities doing fantastic work in the community and, potentially, win a bit of cash in the process.
Here CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie breaks down the variables and trends that shaped the Calgary-and-region housing market throughout the first quarter of 2021, including in-depth statistics from each product segment and surrounding area. The report is now available in an easily accessible format on crebnow.com, so you can quickly find the information you need.
We’re staying at a house this weekend where this is the shower and man, I just don’t know. pic.twitter.com/7sa8BJlrDd
— Ken Jennings (@KenJennings) April 18, 2021
Bold design choice.
- CBC Canada – $716K is the average house price in Canada. Here’s what you can get for that
- Calgary Herald – Varcoe: From Dome Petroleum HQ to affordable housing — ‘a cool transformation’ for downtown Calgary
- Calgary Herald – Province open to helping Calgary fund downtown revitalization projects: Schweitzer
- CTV News Calgary – Canmore council rejects Smith Creek development proposal, Three Sisters Village goes to final reading with significant changes
- Fast Company – The office of the future is outdoors
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – Feds, CMHC to invest hundreds of millions in fresh housing supply
- CBC Calgary – Northeast Calgary residents have their say on future of public art
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – How prevalent has the “urban exodus” become among first-time buyers?
- CBC Calgary – Calgary council approves plan to revamp downtown with $200M initial investment
- Financial Post – Amid hot housing market, stretched borrowers may be stretching the truth to get loans
Have a great weekend!