If you’re reading this at crebnow.com, join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of our newsletter. Just scroll down to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
March has arrived and spring is in the air! The spring market, traditionally a very busy period for real estate transactions, is almost here. In fact, you could say it’s already arrived based on last month’s housing market activity (more on that later).
This week’s stories include a recap of February’s housing market statistics from Calgary and surrounding areas, advice for buyers and sellers looking to test the spring market, and a look at the origins of the puzzling “Pittsburgh Potties” – strange, standalone toilets that appear in the basements of some pre-WWII homes.
Let’s dive right in!
This week in CREB®Now
If the last couple months are any indication, we’re in for an extremely busy spring market here in the Calgary area. If you’re hoping to buy or sell a home during this peak period, make sure you check out these tips first to set yourself up for success.
Check out the full recap of last month’s housing market activity in Calgary and surrounding areas, featuring commentary from CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie.
It turns out these toilets aren’t so random after all – check out the full story to learn more about this curious design choice and why it made sense in early 20th century homes.
Wondering what might be in store for the Calgary housing market throughout the rest of 2021? Nobody has a crystal ball, but CREB®’s 2021 Forecast report – packed with insights and analysis from CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie – is the next best thing!
Absolutely nothing creepy to see here https://t.co/unJRrUfrfM
— Amanda Deibert🏳️🌈 (@amandadeibert) February 21, 2021
Another day, another creepy home listing going viral. If you’re wondering why, I’ll let you see for yourself.
- CBC Marketplace – It pays to get a 2nd home appraisal, especially if you’re a Black homeowner, hidden camera investigation shows
- Livabl_ – Buyers’ “fear of missing out” causing Canadian home prices to soar: RBC
- Financial Post – Posthaste: New survey reveals how COVID has changed real estate — and the findings are remarkable
- CBC Calgary – Rocky View County set to outpace Calgary for industrial development in 2021
- Calgary Herald – Tech giant Infosys to expand to Calgary; promising 500 new jobs over three years
- Financial Post – Mortgage rates are starting to edge higher in Canada
- CTV Business – Romy Bowers to succeed Evan Siddall as CMHC CEO in April
- Calgary Herald – Varcoe: Province must join the battle to help fix Calgary’s downtown dilemma
- Financial Post – These tax changes could open up more options for real estate investors, homeowners and renters of all ages
- CBC Calgary – Calgary council approves $43M for business support and cap on tax hikes
- CBC Calgary – OPINION | For the love of Canmore: A proposed development threatens to upset the balance
- Calgary Herald – No direct help coming to fill Calgary office towers: Toews
- CBC Calgary – Alberta’s big city mayors on the changes, challenges and open questions of budget 2021
Have a great weekend!