Join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of the Weekender. Scroll to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
This week’s lineup is full of stories you won’t want to miss, including tips for beating the heat without A/C, analysis of Calgary’s vacancy-plagued rental market, and the story of former Calgary Flames defenceman and current Sportsnet 960 the FAN morning show co-host Rhett Warrener’s first home purchase.
Let’s dive right in!
This week in CREB®Now
If you spend the hottest days of summer sweating through your clothes because your home doesn’t have air conditioning, you are not alone. Thankfully, there are a handful of ways to beat the heat without A/C – read on for all the details.
The city’s rental market has seen its fair share of struggles over the last year thanks to COVID-19 and less-than-ideal economic conditions, but positive changes might be on the way. Read on to find out why industry experts are cautiously optimistic about the sector’s prospects.
A key piece of the 2004 Calgary Flames team that went all the way to the Stanley Cup final and now a familiar voice on local sports radio, Rhett Warrener has put down deep roots here in the city since his playing days. However, his first home purchase was in neighbouring Saskatchewan, the province where he was born and raised, and it actually caused quite the hubbub. Check out the story for all the details.
If you’re in the market to buy a home, you should take note of the latest changes to the stress test for uninsured mortgages. Read on to find out how your home search might be affected by the new rules.
— Paul Fairie (@paulisci) June 11, 2021
Nature is healing.
- Calgary Herald – Bus service between Calgary and Chestermere nearing final approval
- Financial Post – How to handle a bidding war in a hot housing market
- CBC Calgary – New bridge into Inglewood falls behind schedule, will exceed $23M budget
- Calgary Herald – Beware of falling rocks: Wind blows paving stones off 27th floor of Calgary condo
- CBC Calgary – Conversion of empty Calgary office tower to affordable housing set to begin
- CBC Business – Canada’s inflation rate rises to highest level in a decade, at 3.6%
- Financial Post – Posthaste: The underdog of the pandemic housing market is quietly making a comeback
- CBC Calgary – Future role in arena project uncertain, says Calgary Municipal Land Corporation
- CBC Business – Average Canadian house price up 38% compared to last year, but down from March
- Globe and Mail – When does it make sense to renovate instead of buy?
- Calgary Herald – Housing prices rising, time on market shrinking as Canmore’s property market heats up
- CBC Calgary – Calgary councillors get first look at proposed transformation of McMahon Stadium and Foothills Athletic Park
- CTV News Calgary – State of Local Emergency lifted in Calgary as of Monday
- CBC Calgary – One year later, residents say northeast Calgary still hasn’t recovered from devastating hailstorm
- CBC Calgary – The dollars and sense behind Calgary’s plan to save downtown
- Globe and Mail – Condo developer plans to buy $1-billion worth of single-family houses in Canada for rentals
Have a great weekend!