Join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of the Weekender. Scroll to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
After a couple weeks away, it feels good to be back – did you miss me?
This week’s edition features a first-home story from new Calgary Chamber of Commerce president and CEO Deborah Yedlin that’s full of surprises, as well as a look at the history of one of Ramsay’s oldest residences.
Let’s dive right in!
This week in CREB®Now
New president and CEO of the Calgary Chamber of Commerce Deborah Yedlin recently spoke with CREB®Now’s Mario Toneguzzi about the first home she and her husband purchased: a lovely Elbow Park bi-level with an interesting past.
Let’s hop in the time machine and head back more than a century to Ramsay’s earliest days as a mixed-use community for working-class Calgarians – because like many historical homes, the 112-year-old Spence Residence has quite the story to tell.
Until recently, the Downtown Commercial Core was the only downtown neighbourhood lacking a community association. Thankfully, with the creation of the Downtown Core Community Association, that has changed. Read on to learn more about the fledgling association and how its organizers plan to provide new representation and support to the 8,500 people that call the area home.
Hyder Hassan’s first home purchase all started with a fateful decision regarding a Subaru WRX STI sedan. How does that make any sense? Well, you’ll just have to read the story to find out!
very weird vibes in this apartment listing…. “come on in, read a book by the stove, take the stairs to nowhere” pic.twitter.com/aAm83EltS8
— Brandy Jensen (@BrandyLJensen) August 16, 2021
I have so many questions…
- Real Estate Magazine – It’s already nice. Why do I need staging?
- CBC Politics – Federal parties all say they’ll make housing more affordable. Here’s what we know about their plans
- Bloomberg CityLab – Creating More Accessible, Inclusive Buildings
- Globe and Mail – Rising mortgage debt will raise financial stress levels
- RE/MAX Canada Blog – What Do Spiking Oil Prices Mean for the Calgary Real Estate Market?
- Canadian Mortgage Professional – CMHC releases latest Canada housing starts data amid steep pressures
- Global News Canada – Incentive program for office-to-residential conversion opens in Calgary
- Vancouver Sun – Developers shift amenities to focus on active, outdoor living
- Financial Post – Condos are getting hot again in Canada’s biggest cities as rental demand surges
- Financial Post – Housing market tightens after fourth-straight monthly drop in sales
- CBC Business – Climate risk scores could reshape Canadian real estate markets, some experts say
Have a great weekend!