Your regularly scheduled writer for The Weekender is away, but we’ve still got you covered this week. Let’s get right into what we covered over the past seven days.
This week in CREB®Now
Now that the phrase “go home and stay home” has become 2020’s mantra, the importance of affordable housing in Calgary is greater than ever. After all, what does “stay home” mean for those do not have a home or live in unhealthy conditions?
Get your July stats here! Also, check out our new downloadable PDF’s at the bottom of the article that sifts through the data so you don’t have to.
Multiple offers, steady prices and lower inventories: the 2020 summer recreational property market in Western Canada is not what you might expect in the midst of a global pandemic and economic downturn.
From Lanny MacDonald, Craig Conroy to many other notable Calgarians, find all of our My First Home stories here.
Looking for our featured home listings? Find them here!
What the What?
A worthy read from the CBC: ‘Hobbit house’ hits Alberta real estate market for the first time.
Hold me closer, Tony Danza! The first four weekends of Studio Bell’s reopening, from August 15 to September 6, are free courtesy of Bell, but tickets must be reserved here: https://www.studiobell.ca/general-admission
- CBC Calgary – Ottawa’s buffer against provincial economic shocks needs reform: economist
- CBC Calgary – More rural communities say tax break for oil and gas firms could doom small Alberta towns
- CBC Calgary – Calgary’s hail storm victims still waiting on insurance companies, more than 50 days later
- Business Insider – These shipping containers unfold into $50,000 tiny homes that can be stacked into custom buildings — here’s how they work
- Calgary Herald – New Trico Residential president thrives through early challenges
- Toronto Star – COVID leaves renters with healthy home-buying expectations: Study
- CBC News – Living with face masks: How to stow them, reuse disposables and more
- Globe and Mail – Toronto, Vancouver real estate markets surge in July, hitting record sales for the month
- REM – Real estate sales in the age of COVID-19