TGIF! Another summer weekend in Calgary is so close you can taste it, and what better way to kick things off than spending some time with the latest edition of the Weekender. This week’s stories feature good news for heritage homeowners, sources of DIY inspiration for your next home-improvement project, and a member of the Calgary real estate community who is poised to bring home an NHL award.
With a lineup that exciting, there’s no time to waste – so, let’s get right to it!
This week in CREB®Now
Lovers of old homes, rejoice! If you currently own or are in the market to purchase a Calgary historical home, new financial supports are under consideration that could make heritage homeownership more affordable than ever.
Calgary’s own Dampy Brar, a member of the local real estate community, is one of the finalists for the NHL’s Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award. Check out the story to learn more about his extensive background in youth hockey, then head to the NHL’s website to cast your vote. But make sure you do it quickly, voting closes tonight!
As the COVID-19 pandemic drags on, I think we could all use a little inspiration. If that inspiration comes in the form of ideas for some cool DIY projects you can do around the house, even better!
If you are ready to make your DIY ideas a reality, especially if those ideas involve some not-so-basic renovations and multiple power tools, make sure safety is top of mind. This article from earlier this year includes a handy checklist of best practices, as well as specific situations where it might be best to call in the pros.
- CBC Calgary – Calgary focuses on tech jobs with $7 million from city’s opportunity fund
- Calgary’s Business – Calgary downtown office market continues to struggle
- CBC Calgary – Living off the grid: Family spends 7 years building eco-friendly dream home
- CBC Calgary – Hydrogen-injected natural gas to heat homes in Alberta city next year
- CBC Calgary – Calgary residents travel to Edmonton to demand help recovering from devastating N.E. hailstorm
- Calgary Herald – City asks for 2021 budget scenario that holds the line on property taxes
- CTV News – Home sales surge in rural Alberta
- Better Dwelling – Canadian Investment In Residential Home Construction Drops Over 21%
- Calgary Herald – Behind the scenes of Calgary’s arena deal: How the city prepared to roll out the event centre
- CBC Calgary – Small town realtor says COVID-19 may have city dwellers looking for wider, open spaces
Have a great weekend!