Welcome to the Weekender! I hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving and enjoyed what might have been the last few days of pleasant fall weather we’ll be having for awhile. As I write this, there’s snow on the ground and I’m bundled up in a sweater. We had a good run.
Thankfully, as one of this week’s stories illustrates, wintery weather (even if it’s a couple months early) doesn’t mean we all have to hole up inside and hibernate until spring comes along.
I don’t want to leave you in suspense, so let’s get right to the good stuff!
This week in CREB®Now
Embrace the cold and enjoy the best that the season has to offer with these fun outdoor activity suggestions that just might keep you active, social and sane this winter – seasonal affective disorder be damned!
The COVID-19 pandemic has been extremely hard on local businesses, but Calgary’s many business improvement associations (BIAs) have banded together to share ideas, lobby governments and provide support to their members.
If you don’t live in the immediate area, it’s easy to take for granted that Calgary has 11 square kilometres of pristine, native grasslands smack-dab in the middle of its northwest quadrant. But if you live nearby, Nose Hill Park’s charms are often irresistible.
These days, there’s a podcast for every topic, and real estate investing is no exception. If you’re a fan of the medium and are looking for recommendations, why not give these four a try?
— mallowcreme (@loves_dads) October 7, 2020
You may be laughing at this – I sure was when I saw it for the first time – but apparently painting a sofa is actually a thing some DIYers do? Colour me surprised. I guess it’s not exactly a foolproof project idea, though…
- CBC Canada Marketplace – Looking for local appliance repair? Why you can’t always trust what you find on Google Maps
- CBC Calgary – New COVID rent relief program won’t help struggling businesses until next month, group says
- CBC Calgary – Plan to add 11 new communities to Calgary’s outskirts coming to council
- Calgary Herald – Varcoe: How to sell a 25% tax hike — Calgary’s tax shift set to squeeze industrial property owners next year
- Calgary Herald – Property tax woes ahead for city council as budget talks loom
- CBC Calgary – Reconsider the rake: Nature Conservancy asks Canadians to keep leaves on their lawn
- Financial Post – Renters in Canada are three times more likely to be in need of adequate housing than owners
- Real Estate News Exchange – U-Haul buys vacant Calgary Sun building, property
- Calgary Herald – Hailstorm damage still a daily reality in northeast Calgary as winter approaches
- Calgary Herald – Chestermere golf course may be redeveloped following financial troubles
- CBC Calgary – As mortgage deferral programs wind down, Alberta still has highest rate of deferrals
- Calgary Herald – Sola partners with Amazon in a Canadian first
- CBC Calgary – Calgary food hamper charity gets much-needed office and storage space, thanks to anonymous donors
Have a great weekend!