Join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of the Weekender. Scroll to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
This week’s lineup features a little bit of everything – variety really is the spice of life – so buckle up, because we’ll be running the gamut from spring cleaning advice and energy-efficient home design to the story of a Calgary Stampeders great’s first real estate purchase.
This week in CREB®Now
‘Tis the season for a little spring cleaning around the house, which means some decluttering is in order. All that unwanted stuff needs to go somewhere, but instead of taking a trip to the landfill, check out this list of local organizations that are currently accepting donations of household goods. That way, you’ll be able to spruce up your place and support several important charitable causes in the process.
Jayman Built recently unveiled new net-zero home designs that could have a major ripple effect across the homebuilding industry. Check out the full story for all the details, including what net zero really means, the energy-efficiency features that helped Jayman get there, and the significance for new-build homebuyers.
In this can’t-miss feature, Calgary Stampeders legend, Grey Cup champion, CFL hall of famer and RBC investment advisor Jon Cornish shares all the details of his first home purchase and how that major decision helped him transition from football to the world of finance.
Home inspectors get paid to find the types of issues that can create serious headaches for a homebuyer. Many of these discoveries are fairly routine. Sometimes, however, they find a little bit more than they bargained for.
If you're remodeling your kitchen, put one of these in that empty space in the corner cabinet, for the next guy that remodels in another 10-15 years. Follow me for more home improvement tips! pic.twitter.com/EiAG7OuMEU
— Just Joe (@mrjsasso) March 25, 2021
Oh yeah, they’ll love that. 😆
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – The implications of generational wealth on the mortgage market
- CBC Business – Bank regulator proposes higher mortgage stress test level, making it harder to qualify for home loan
- Financial Post – CIBC CEO calls for policies to boost housing supply as prices surge
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – Poll: Canadians’ opinions toward home price movements vary significantly
- Financial Post – Millennials are taking advantage of low-rate window to jump into housing market, poll suggests
- CBC Calgary – Feds contribute $12.5M to build 120 affordable housing units in northeast Calgary
- Calgary Herald – ‘Downtown does not work for us anymore’: Council committee endorses plan to transform the core
- Global News – City council to decide on Calgary’s greater downtown plan after vacancy hits 32%
- Livewire Calgary – Calgary downtown vision good, but limited resident input on action items, Downtown West prez says
- Global News – Plan to revitalize Calgary’s downtown seeks to attract more people to live, work, play
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – Why do most homeowners undertake renovations?
- Calgary Herald – Alberta reintroduces restrictions on restaurants, gyms and retail as variant cases climb
- Calgary Herald – Vision of signature city park four decades in the making reduced to storm pond
- Canadian Real Estate Wealth – TD, RE/MAX advise against gov’t intervention into market
- CBC Calgary – Feeling lost? Calgary Plus 15 network getting wayfinding update
- CBC Business – It’s not just Toronto and Vancouver — Canada’s housing bubble has gone national
Have a great weekend!