Join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of the Weekender. Scroll to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
I hope you all enjoyed this week’s heatwave, which corresponded nicely with the return of restaurant and bar patios here in the city. I don’t know about you, but I’m a little bit sunburnt!
The weather’s not the only thing heating up, as the city’s housing market continued its run of strong sales activity last month. We’ve got the full statistical recap right here, plus a breakdown of the City of Calgary’s new Guide for Local Area Planning and a deep dive on the history of the conversation pit – the Mad Men-era living room orientation that has come back in a big way thanks to COVID-19.
Let’s dive right in!
This week in CREB®Now
Everything old is new again, and in the world of home design, the latest “retro” style to make a comeback is the conversation pit. Check out the story to learn more about the conversation pit’s rise and fall (and rise), and why this nostalgia-inducing design feature is perfect for moving past the loneliness of the pandemic.
Check out the full recap of last month’s housing market activity in Calgary and surrounding areas, featuring commentary from CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie.
After much consultation, many misconceptions and a touch of controversy, the City of Calgary’s Guidebook for Great Communities has transformed into the Guide for Local Area Planning. Read on to learn how this planning document is already being put to work in communities across the city.
If you’re hoping to sell your home, don’t forget about curb appeal! We’re all taught not to judge a book by its cover, but that’s exactly what prospective buyers will do if your home’s exterior isn’t up to snuff. Thankfully, there are many quick and inexpensive ways to ensure your property makes a great first impression.
Well, I know what I’ll be watching this summer.
- CBC Calgary – Okotoks eyes regional pathway to Calgary
- CBC Politics – How to make the most of that new federal ‘green’ home retrofit grant
- Calgary Herald – ATCO launches home maintenance startup, promises 200 new Alberta jobs
- CBC Calgary – Alberta’s economic recovery lags behind the rest of Canada, but there is room for optimism
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – What’s in store from the Bank of Canada?
- BNN Bloomberg – New mortgage stress test unlikely to affect new housing activity: Canadian Home Builders’ Association CEO
- Calgary Herald – Calgary’s Green Line LRT combines downtown, southeast contracts for ‘cost certainty’
- Calgary Herald – City council narrowly approves Calgary urban hen program
- BNN Bloomberg – Housing boom in Canada helps boost GDP growth
- CBC Business – New stress test level makes it harder to qualify for a mortgage in Canada
- Business in Calgary – The Bumpy Ride of Calgary Real Estate
- Calgary Herald – Speed limit on Calgary’s neighbourhood streets officially drops to 40 km/h
- CBC Calgary – Growth plan for Calgary region sent to province for final say
- CBC Business – Thinking of buying a new couch? The price may have just quadrupled
- Financial Post – Only 20 per cent of workers want to return to office full-time: survey
- CBC Calgary – Your backyard tree questions, answered
Have a great weekend!