If you’re reading this at crebnow.com, join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of our newsletter. Just scroll down to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
I hope you all enjoyed the first week of spring, including the customary dumps of snow. (As usual, it seems Mother Nature isn’t quite ready to let us off the hook.)
This week’s jam-packed story lineup features two organizations trying to shape Calgary’s future in different ways, plus a breakdown of the city’s detached housing market, where high demand has led to strong sellers’ market conditions across multiple price ranges.
This week in CREB®Now
The CREB® REALTOR® Community Foundation recently launched the application process for its 2021 Legacy Grant. Check out the full story to learn more about the foundation’s grant streams, eligibility criteria and how interested non-profit organizations can apply.
The Calgary Metro Region Board (CMRB) recently launched the third and final phase of its public engagement process to capture feedback about the board’s draft regional growth plan. The engagement process ends on April 8, so make your voice heard – you won’t want to miss your chance to shape the future of Calgary and its surrounding communities!
Calgary’s detached market is booming, with high demand and dwindling supply across many price ranges putting sellers in control. Here, CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie breaks down the forces that led to these sellers’ market conditions and predicts whether they will continue.
Calgary’s detached market is hot right now, but Canmore’s housing market is on fire. Check out the full story to find out what’s fuelling the flames.
Architects in Tony Hawk Pro Skater: pic.twitter.com/gn7PD3vth3
— Josiah (@Josiah_is_ugly) March 10, 2021
- CBC Calgary – Family pairs with SAIT to build certifiably environmental house west of Cochrane
- Cottage Life – 8 insights from the Royal LePage spring report cottagers need to know
- Calgary Herald – Guidebook’s future will be decided later after marathon council hearing
- CTV News Calgary – Vacation home prices expected to jump in Alberta due to strong demand, limited supply
- Financial Post – Canadians are itching to spend their pandemic nest eggs on exotic vacations, backyard pools and cottages
- CBC Calgary – Public hearing on divisive community guidebook draws about 150 Calgarians to speak at council
- CBC Edmonton – Community associations slam cuts to Alberta program that builds parks, public-use facilities
- CBC Calgary – 5 Chestermere golfers hope to buy course to stave off redevelopment
- Calgary Herald – Real estate mogul Dhillon banking on bright future for Alberta
- CBC Calgary – Calgary approves plan for site of former Midfield Mobile Home Park
- CBC Calgary – Public interest review begins into proposed Springbank reservoir to protect Calgary from floods
- mortgagebrokernews.ca – CMHC pledges to build nearly 5,000 new permanent units nationwide
- CBC Calgary – Mega public hearing expected on Calgary’s guidebook for communities
- Calgary Herald – Opinion: Big capital projects should reinject some life into downtown Calgary
Have a great weekend!