Welcome to a brand-new edition of the Weekender! October is here, which means we’re probably only days away from our first big snowfall. I’m only half joking – remember what happened around this time last year? Better book that winter tire change.
This week’s stories include a profile of a community that recently topped Avenue Calgary’s Best Neighbourhoods rankings, a first-home story from the only NHL athletic trainer to ever have his own fan club, and a breakdown of September’s housing market statistics.
Let’s dive in!
This week in CREB®Now
This community on the cusp of the inner city is frequently rated one of Calgary’s best. Read on to find out why!
The man, the myth, the moustache: Jim “Bearcat” Murray has been a beloved local personality in Calgary and Okotoks for several decades. He recently sat down with George Johnson to share the story of his first home purchase.
Check out the full recap of last month’s housing market activity in Calgary and surrounding areas, featuring commentary from CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie.
Death by dryer lint: what a way to go. Check out the full list to learn about many more seemingly benign household tasks or items that could lead to your untimely demise.
- CBC Calgary – OPINION | Calgary ahead of the curve on modern architecture
- Calgary Herald – Decades in the making, southwest ring road from Highway 8 to Fish Creek Boulevard to open to traffic
- CBC Calgary – Calgary’s downtown office vacancy rate hits nearly 30%
- CBC Politics – Troubled pandemic rent subsidy program expires today — and there’s no replacement ready
- Financial Post – Canadians now have the option to build their credit scores via rent payments
- Calgary Herald – Taza building brighter economic future on Tsuut’ina Nation
- Financial Post – Canadian mortgage rates are the lowest in history. Can they go any lower?
- CBC Business – New homeowner ‘freaked out’ when stranger took control of her security system
- CBC Business – Demand for sports equipment and home gyms booms as Canadians prepare for pandemic winter
- Calgary Herald – What the heck is that? A look at new structures popping up around Calgary
- Calgary Herald – Multi-family homes market adjusting to new reality
- Calgary Sun – More than one-quarter of Canadians considering home renovations
Have a great weekend!