If you’re reading this at crebnow.com, join our email subscribers list to make sure you never miss an edition of our newsletter. Just scroll down to the bottom of this post to find the signup form.
Welcome to the Weekender!
CREB®’s annual Forecast event was held (virtually) earlier this week. As always, one of the highlights was CREB® chief economist Ann-Marie Lurie’s presentation, covering the housing market forecast for Calgary and region in 2021.
The full forecast report is now available here, so check it out if you want to learn what to expect in the year ahead. The report will also be available in an easily digestible format on crebnow.com starting early next week.
In the meantime, I’ve got a great slate of stories to share from the week that was, so let’s get you caught up!
This week in CREB®Now
In the dead of Calgary winter, where we all find ourselves trapped currently, it’s dark all the time. There’s little we can do about the lack of sun, but we can make the most of the lighting inside our homes. Here are a few tips to make sure you’re basking in a cozy glow of your own making when the sun sets at 4 p.m.
Exciting things are happening around Stampede Park, including upgrades to the Victoria Park CTrain station and an extension to nearby 17th Avenue S.E. Check out the full story for all the project details and to find out how pedestrians, transit users and drivers will be affected during construction.
Say hello to our newest guest columnist, Millenium Plus Homes president and CEO Shameer Gaidhar. His first column highlights the importance of radon mitigation systems for Calgary homeowners and homebuyers.
Find out how two new inner-city parks illustrate the power of creative thinking when it comes to increasing the number of recreational spaces in Calgary’s core.
a potted plant does what now pic.twitter.com/qpdt5YQmqQ
— madeleine holden (@madeleinecholia) January 17, 2021
“You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
Now, they may not add a “dash of irreverence” to a room, but if you are looking to purchase some houseplants, check out our guide to some of the most low-maintenance options.
- CTV News Calgary – Hundreds of homeowners in Calgary’s Skyview Ranch being sued for unpaid annual fees
- CBC Calgary – New outdoor food bank in Forest Lawn emptying out daily
- CBC Calgary – Calgary council should reject plebiscite on lowering speed limit, bureaucrats suggest
- Real Estate News Exchange – Aspen invests $25M in Calgary Sun Life Plaza renovations
- Calgary Herald – Braid: How can we stop the bleeding of youth fleeing a wounded Calgary?
- CBC Calgary – Developer sues Calgary for $113M, alleging city obstructed plan to build condos on former golf course
- CBC Calgary – Calgary’s downtown office vacancy rate could reach ‘unseen territory’ of 30% within 2 years, report says
- National Post – It’s called ‘out-migration’ and Canada’s bigger cities are bearing the brunt
Have a great weekend!