One of Calgary most historic sites will soon see some new additions. Thanks to a $36 million overhaul, Fort Calgary is set to undergo a yearlong three-stage renovation that will see the 107-year old Deane House returned to its former glory, along with a host of other changes.
Built in 1906, the Deane House is the only remaining North West Mounted Police (NWMP) building in Calgary. It was originally built on the west side of the site near 6th St. S.E. and was moved in 1914 to the current location of the Interpretive Centre.
With the construction of a new park on the site, Calgarians will have access to the Bow and Elbow Rivers and 40 acres of open space. The park space will be enhanced with interpretive signage and furnishings.
The second stage will be an exhibit to honour the NWMP, who built the Fort in 1975.
The final stage of the work will add a second story glass gallery to existing Interpretive Centre, connecting visitors to the National Historic Site’s natural and historic stories with new exhibits and views of downtown Calgary, the 1875 Fort site and the confluence of the Bow and Elbow rivers.
The Interpretive Centre will house the Children’s Education Centre, an orientation hall and theatre, and permanent and temporary exhibits focused on the story of Calgary, the story of the NWMP and the story of Hudson’s Bay Company. It will also contain a resource centre and library that documents this rich and important past.