Calgary is a happening place these days. The recent release of Calgary’s Civic Census showed the population is up to more than 1.14 million people, an increase of almost 30,000 people compared to 2012. Those people need places to live as evidenced in the news that Calgary is on pace to record one of its highest yearly totals in the real estate market. How much do you know about Calgary’s population and real estate market?
Answers are below the CREB® Forecast and Conference picture
1. Calgary’s population increased by what percentage between April 2012 and April 2013?
a. 2.5 per cent
b. 2.62 per cent
c. 3 per cent
d. 3.24 per cent
2. According to the Census, what Calgary community led the way in growth, increasing by 1,680 residents?
b. Auburn Bay
c. Panorama Hills
d. Aspen Woods
3. According to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, housing starts in Calgary were trending at how many units in July?
a. 10,000 units
b. 11,345 units
c. 12,116 units
d. 13,456 units
4. According to Altus Group, how many housing starts were there in the province of Alberta in June?
5. Natural increase in population is the result of excess births over deaths. What was Calgary’s natural increase in 2013?
6. Net migration is the difference between the total population growth recorded and the natural increase. What was Calgary’s net migration in 2013?
7. How many MLS® sales were recorded in Calgary last year?
8. What was the average price of a home in Calgary in July?
9. Between July 2012 and July 2013 by what percentage did the average price of a home in Calgary increase?
a. Four per cent
b. 6.3 per cent
c. Seven per cent
d. 8.1 per cent
10. According to the 2013 Census, how many occupied housing units are there in the city?
CREB® Forecast Conference and Tradeshow
Answers: 1.b 2.a 3.c 4.a 5.d 6.b 7.d 8.c 9.d 10.a