Calgary’s Chinook Centre is amongst the top 10 most productive malls in North America, according to a report from US publication Retail Insider.
Placing tenth overall and fifth in Canada, the southwest Calgary mall brought in $1,108 per sq. ft. in 2013. In 2012, Chinook Centre ranked seventh overall bringing in $1,055 per sq. ft. while retaining its status as the fifth most productive shopping centre in the country.
One possible concern pointed out in the report is the impact of the declining Canadian dollar on retailers north of the border. With dollar amounts for U.S. shopping centres in US dollars and Canadian centres in Canadian dollars, next year’s ranking could change significantly.
Set to welcome American retailer Nordstrom to the growing list of retailers, which currently numbers more than 250, the mall recently completed an expansion that added an additional 180,000 sq. ft. of space.
Opening in September, Nordstrom, Inc. will celebrate the opening of its first Canadian store at Chinook Centre in Calgary with a gala on Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014 benefiting Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation and United Way of Calgary and Area. The store officially opens Friday, Sept. 19, 2014 at 10 a.m.
“We believe in supporting and giving back to the community before we open our doors for business,” said Shelia Wooldridge, Nordstrom Chinook Centre store manager. “This exciting gala partnership with the Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation and United Way will help raise funds to ensure Calgary youth have the support they need to manage mental health challenges and step confidently into bright futures.”
The 10 most productive malls in North America for 2013
1. Bal Harbour Shops, Bal Harbour, Florida: US$2,793/sq. ft.
2. The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada: US$1,750/sq. ft.
3. The Grove, Los Angeles, California: US$1,400/sq. ft.
4. Pacific Centre, Vancouver, British Columbia: C$1335/sq. ft.
5. Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto, Ontario: C$1300/sq. ft.
6. Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto, Ontario: C$1275/sq. ft.
7. Mall at Millennia, Orlando, Florida: US$1,250/sq. ft.
8. Oakridge Shopping Center, Vancouver, British Columbia: C$1,132/sq. ft.
9. The Mall at Short Hills, Short Hills, New Jersey: US$1,110/sq. ft.
10. Chinook Centre, Calgary, Alberta: C$1,108/sq. ft.